Tuesday, October 23, 2012


When I watched this video, I questioned if this should even be an argument. I don't believe that anyone can look at a great video game and say, "hey this doesn't tell a story, nor is it art." But I can think of a dozen games that I've played, or even seen played that definitely tell a story and are incredibly beautiful. For example, on my iPhone, there are so many amazing games offered that appeal to a story line and my aesthetic senses. A few would be Contre Jour, Lost Winds and Sword & Sworcery. All three of those games are extremely aesthetically appealing, and I would consider myself an artistically thoughtful person. They also tell a story, and these are just games that are on my smartphone… There are countless games on other platforms that tell a wonderful story, and are extremely aesthetically pleasing/ just plain artistic. I find video games very appealing in the respect that I really enjoy being able to interact with a story in a manner that is only experienced with a video game.

I've always liked video games, and I would definitely not say that I'm a hardcore gamer. Games like Call of Duty and Battlefield don't really appeal to me. What really appeals to me, are stories that I can follow, such as many of the Mario games, but also more complicated games like Dark Souls that leave you to interpet the story for yourself. As far as the argument of  video games being able to tell a story better or worse than "classic" versions of artistic expressions, I couldn't really say that it is better or worse. Stories can be interpreted differently by everyone. That might be a reason why stories are so popular in human history. However, I do feel like video games give you less of an imagination of some sorts, concerning the environment and what the characters look like… But I also think that video games allow more imagination, because with some, you might be able to just throw yourself into the game and pretend as if you are the protagonist because you decide your interactions. In literature and film, you can't control the story, what happens happened because of no part on your end.

As far as which medium I prefer more, I would say that the more "classic" forms of storytelling appeal to me more. Video games are fun, but they are a challenge, and sometimes I really just want to stop thinking about the challenges I face ahead of me, in real life and in the video game, and just read or watch the challenges of the characters in a book and how they overcome their obstacles. When I read or watch stories instead of playing a video game,  I feel like I can use the methods that the characters in the book did or didn't use to overcome their obstacles in my own life.  In a video game, I am the one facing the obstacle, and sometimes I like my form of entertainment to be worry free.

No comments:

Post a Comment