Tuesday, October 16, 2012


As you can see, I've compiled 10 images for Lana Dey Rey's video called "Ride." These images are supposed to represent her video and tell a story. They arent in order… Sorry. Also, the way I had to position them sucked. Anyway, I chose these images because they tell a story about the men shes been with in the video. I think I can count four. However, I also chose pictures of her by herself out in the open desert on a tire swing, and also in an urban landscape, alone in both settings. In the video, it seems like shes quite lonely and has some sort of emptiness inside. She is then shown seemingly engaging in sexual relationships with various men. From my understanding and speculation, it seems like she is filling that emptiness and loneliness with the company of these men. I chose these images because it shows a contrast of what Lana's character is like when she's alone (in the desert and urban landscapes) and what she is like when she is with the various men. For example, in the desert and the urban landscapes, it looks kind of as if nobody is around, and she looks lonely, and a bit like a wandering soul. When she's with the various men, she seems a bit more content. Adding to that, when she is on the man's bike, she looks like she's freed in some way; she holds her arms out and has a smile, unlike all of the other photos. On another note, some of the lyrics from the song are:
"Don't leave me now 
Don't say good bye 
Don't turn around 
Leave me high and dry "
I think that these lyrics add to the story of her affairs with various men. She longs for company, and is unhappy and lost without it. Another lyric goes:
"Been trying hard not to get in trouble, but I 
I've got a war in my mind 
I just ride"
These lyrics suggest that she gets her mind off of her life and her conflicts within it to feel happiness. The photos of her on the back of the bike supports her statement there, because she looks blissful and free on the back of the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment