Thursday, September 6, 2012


The Rhetorical Situation by Lloyd F Bitzer. Hmm. Not really sure what exactly I'm supposed to write about this article. Did I love it? Did I hate it? Well.. I definitely can't say that I liked it. Can you really make your living off being a "Rhetorist?" Confused. Other than the article being extremely long, it did inform me a lot on how rhetoric discourse comes into existence. Rhetoric has… I guess you would call it a situational existence. According to Lloyd, Rhetoric only exists "for the sake of something beyond itself." Rhetoric is made to "produce action or change in the world." These are quotes from Lloyd's article, by the way. I never really thought about rhetoric existing because of argumentative conditions. In fact, I think that Lloyd told me that rhetoric is just an argument. Huh. So, does that mean that all writing, speech, and body language is considered rhetoric? Guess so.

Honestly, I had a lot of trouble comprehending this 14 page article.. I think we were assigned to read this article to make a point of how different uses of media and how something is written makes a difference to the audience. I feel like this all has to do with composition and design. For example, the whole class responded well to the Huxley vs. Orwell comic. We all seemed to really get what the article was trying to argue and we had a lot to say about it. It was a short and sweet comic, however, this article is not. This is, like I said, a polar opposite from the web comic. I have a feeling that when we come into class, everyone will be in a similar position with feelings of confusion towards this assignment. I doubt we will have much to say, because I don't think the article REALLY has much to do with us and we don't seem to be the intended audience. This also has absolutely no pathos, in my opinion, but relies solely on logos and ethos. Not a balance that I necessarily enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment