Sunday, September 9, 2012

Is Google making us stupid? Although the author of the article seems to believe so, I can't really attest to him being right. I don't think that the overload of instant information that Google provides is necessarily what's making us stupid. Perhaps the overload of useless information might be making us seem stupider. I think the easy access to all the information that you could possibly need does make us a little less skilled in libraries and when it comes to researching the old fashioned way, but with Google why would everyone necessarily need skills like that anyway? Thinking about it more and more, I'm not sure where I would be without Google. I think that I would be a less rounded person. The internet has taught me so many things that I wouldn't have know otherwise without Google. I certainly have learned a lot of silly things through Google, for example, like what type of Pokemon is weak to poison type. But.. I still learned something from this situation. There are a lot of useful things I've learned from Google's instant results, such as how to format an MLA paper. Google is definitely making me lazier, and perhaps more expectant of getting the information that I want quicker, but I definitely disagree that I'm getting stupider from the services that Google provides. Google is something that I use everyday and will continue to use for as long as I have access to the internet and as long as Google is in existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment