Thursday, August 30, 2012

The webcomic shown relates well to our class discussions for a few reasons. For one, we've been talking about how America is becoming more and more apathetic. The comic argues about what exactly is making us apathetic. Is it what we love that will ruin us? Such as trash TV and the internet. Or is it what we hate that will ruin us? Such as daily violence and crimes. I think that it's a very fine line. In my personal opinion, I am extremely apathetic towards scandalous/tragic events that happen all around the world. Maybe I really am just a terrible person because I could really care less. I think that what I hate (violence) has made me more apathetic than what I love (the internet and TV.) Although I have an apathetic attitude because of seeing so much violence around the world in my lifetime, I think both of what I love and what I hate are intertwined. They're both ruining me. The internet and television is just a gateway for me to view more violence and hatred. I think the author would have rather shown their argument in a webcomic rather than, let's say, an article because sometimes it's easier to send a message across with visuals rather than words. Like with this comic, the author is directly comparing Orwell's and Huxley's opinions/fears side by side, and that personally has helped me more to grasp a better understanding of the authors argument.If the author had written an article on the same subject with the same message, I would have probably been slightly more bored. Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment