Sunday, August 26, 2012

How has reality television affected my life? Well. Although I can't really say it's my favorite pastime, it seems to always pop up in my life. People often ask, "did you watch so-and-so last night?" I often reply with a simple "no." I don't particularly enjoy watching the typical reality shows that you constantly hear about (Keeping Up with the Kardashians, American Idol, Real Housewives of... , etc.) In my opinion, almost all reality television is fake, most of it is staged, and nothing is quite real about REALality tv. That doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't enjoyable though. I can't really fault reality television for being entertaining, because if it wasn't, why would anyone watch it? Even so, out of all of the reality television shows I've seen in my lifetime, the only reality television show I can say that I thoroughly enjoy would be Project Runway, mainly because of two factors. 1) I have, what some people would call, a "passion for fashion." Ha. 2) There are  so few ways that they could fake scenarios that happen in the show. The drama, of course, can be faked, but who sews and designs the best cannot be faked. If I had to pick a favorite genre of reality shows, it would most definitely be competitive reality shows. A reality show that involves a family where all of the girls' first names start with a "K" or it has the words "Real" and "Housewives" in the title, could possibly be described as unbearable to sit around and waste an hour looking into the lives of the 1%. Although I can admit that some parts of the shows could be entertaining of sorts.. I'm not sure if I could be asked to be entertained by people who are famous for no reason in particular, other than being dramatic and, well, on television for living their lives. Even though I'm ranting about not being fond of watching reality television, it still plays a part in my everyday life. I'm being bombarded by advertisements, tweets, and articles having to do with reality tv, the "stars" of the shows, and the events that happen in them. Reality tv plays a huge part in forming societal standards and often negatively impacts it. For example, changing your body to be what society would view as "beautiful" is better than being yourself. Expressing yourself and being an individual seems to be frowned apon on many reality shows. The main reason I'm not reality televisions biggest fan, is because most of the people I see on tv, are not what I want to model myself after. Reality tv makes it harder for myself to not conform to societies standards. It makes it harder for me to set myself and my values apart from what our twisted society wants me to think is right, and what is actually right, according to my personal values. Reality television is just another thing that muddles my mindset and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment