Friday, December 14, 2012


For the documentary I named "Emily," there were many choices that I had to make that affected my documentary and made it into something that I wanted the audience to see. For my original topic, I was somewhat limited because it was difficult to find subjects. My original idea for my documentary was to create an  film about the troubles that girls in our society in America are struggling with  eating disorders. Not only that, but I wanted to connect that part of my topic with the idea of how the internet, or Pinterest, can shape the ideas of people with eating disorders. It was difficult for me to find subjects for the topic as I only actually know three girls who have eating disorders and found inspiration to continue with their eating disorder through the internet. It was even more difficult to find girls who actually used Pinterest. The subjects that I knew of mainly used Tumblr and one of them used Myspace back in the day. I also knew of other girls, but I was positive that they didn't realize that I knew and it would have been an uncomfortable situation for me to approach them about their eating disorder.
I chose to shadow my only subject, Emily, because she was uncomfortable and embarrassed with being documented as having these problems. It's obviously a very weak point for her in her life. I also chose to shoot the car scenes at night, since eating disorders are a dark subject, and it still effectively gives a mysterious shadow to Emily. I think I effectively shadowed her, but I also think I let you get a little glimpse of her as well, as it isn't as interesting to just be listening to a shadow talk. I shot Emily sitting in just the arm chair because I was hoping to make her seem somewhat isolated, because she is kind of alone in her life with her eating disorder, physically… But she also has the internet and the friends that she made online. I like to think that the arm chair shows isolation, but also comfort.
If I had another month to work on this project, I would have shot the scenes differently. By differently, I mean that I would have shot my scenese in more locations, I would have done more takes and I would have tried to reach out to more subjects. I also would have tried to find or create the perfect music to go along with my documentary to better set the mood. I was somewhat disapointed with how the scenes of Emily in the arm chair turned out. I filmed those scenes with my MacBook's webcam and I filmed the car scenes with the Canon camera I rented from the library. The cameras have two different frame rates, and I had to tweak the frame rates of the chair scene for some reason for it to work with the car scenes, so in turn, the chair scene looks choppy. If I had another month, I would also try to work on transitions more. I was disappointed with how my transitions turned out, but it was difficult to create something a little bit smoother with iMovie, especially since the frame rates of the scenes were different.

No comments:

Post a Comment